Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ChurchKey


We enjoyed an impromptu visit from our friend Heather this past weekend. We thought she would just be staying with us for an afternoon visit, but after consulting the Amtrak schedule, she opted for a morning train instead, and we got to enjoy her company over dinner. Chris suggested that we check out the new gastropub in the hood, ChurchKey.

I'm always game to go out for a bite, and have gotten used to toughing it out, GF-culinary-wise, at places where I can eat only a green salad. I anticipated ChurchKey was going to be one of these as we scanned the online menu at home. Brewpubs are not always known to be friendly to celiacs. Nonetheless, off we went.

The interior space (upstairs) is quite nicely done, with a feature point of a large window with lovely late afternoon light streaming in. We sat and scanned the menu. Heather could tell I was bracing myself for a salad kind of a meal, when all of a sudden, we spied something we hadn't seen online (turns out we did not read carefully enough!): "the above flatbreads can be made gluten free"! No way! Our nice server explained that there was a chickpea crust option. I ordered the grafton cheddar & broccoli flatbread, cheerfully ponying up the extra $2 for the GF option, and washed it down with a hard cider by Harpoon. How cool is that??

Everyone else fared well too. My dining companions liked their non-GF flatbreads (Heather actually preferred the flavor of the chickpea crust to her version) and quaffed some fine crafted brews. We heart this place and will definitely return.

So, ChurchKey is friendly, for GF and non-GF alike. I should also mention I saw 4 GF beers on the list when we were there, so you won't be thirsty if you have a yen for a brew. Sorry to not write more about it - I'm not a beer fan myself so I was happy to try one of 5-6 ciders on the menu.

ChurchKey DC website and their menu available online.

1 comment:

Heather Read said...

Michelle, Seriously, I did prefer the chickpea crust much to my surprise! The beer Chris picked out for me was perfect too. On all levels, I'm glad I stayed longer than anticipated! The final bonus was watching the sunrise from my compfy seat on the Acela express en route to New Haven. Best, Heather.

Post a Comment