Sunday, June 7, 2009

Amma Vegetarian Kitchen, or Ode to the Dosa


One night when my sweetie was out grabbing a burger with a coworker, I was driving home from work and said to myself, time for dosa! Inspired by the vision of tasy loveliness of the tangy lentil pancake filled with shredded paneer and other veg, I phoned in a takeout order and hopped over the bridge to Georgetown on my way home.

Amma is usually upstairs from M at around 33rd St. But recently for renovations, the dining room is actually at street level. In many ways I like this better - the diners/dining are more visible and i bet they get more walk in traffic too.

At any rate, one of my favorite things to eat there, and ever, are dosa. They are a huge flat pancake filled with one of a number of fillings. They satisfy the celiac's urge for something that goes crunch crunch crunch and you use the pancake thing to eat the filling. There are 2 dipping sauces that accompany, a veggie stewy thing and also coconut.

On this particular evening, I grabbed a paneer dosa and a mango lassi for takeout. Although the pancake part lost some of its crunch on the way home in the container, the flavor did not disappoint. I snarfed it all down and pronto.

2 comments:

nofiction said...

Bad evil containers, but awesome food!

Pangea said...

Not sure how much you'll be heading to SF these days, but you should definitely hit up Dhosa in the Mission next time you're there. I ate there the night after I ate dosas with you at Amma a few years ago. It's pricier, and fancier, and with a longer wait. But really, really, really tasty.

Post a Comment