Sunday, July 19, 2009

Madison, WI and the wonders of the Silly Yak Bakery

Madison, WI is home to a splendid farmer's market, the Silly Yak Bakery, and now, my sister and brother in law!

Over July 4 I traveled with Chris to his sister's wedding. The wedding itself was so fun, held in an old timey theater and relatives were there in abundance.

For my own selfish reasons, I was happy to return to Madison since Megan, Chris' sister, had introduced me to the delicious products of the Silly Yak Bakery.

On Saturday we made the great pilgrimage (pedestrian foot traffic is one way around the capitol - vary from this and you will be crushed by a stroller) around the capitol building and took in the many midwestern culinary sights. I was happy to find the Silly Yak tent, and bought a number of goodies for the return home.

Silly Yak is pretty cool. They shut down their whole bakery and clean it, and do GF only baking 2 days of the week. You can buy their products at the bakery, at the market, or they will ship them to you. I am by now a huge fan. Megan, busy bride though she was, had kindly left a bag of goodies (GF scones and cupcakes) in our hotel room.

What's especially good? Their rice bread, the GF cupcake, the cinnamon swirl bread are all delish. I haven't had the opportunity to sample much beyond this yet. For the bread, I like it toasted - just put it in a good quality nonstick pan on a low flame and turn often - looks and acts a whole lot like toast!!

I had heard that for the wedding itself that evening, there was to be a GF cupcake for me. I was stoked. Those things are good. Imagine my surprise when TWO PLATES OF GF BAKED GOODS made their way to me after the meal. One plate held yummy vanilla sheet cake, the other, no less than FOUR cupcakes. Here I am after having foisted some of the goodies off on other people:

Happy victim of a minimum order, I'm sure.

Silly Yak Bakery

No comments:

Post a Comment