Saturday, October 24, 2009

Made from scratch GF banana bread


I like bananas, but to eat them as they come, I'll admit that they have to be the perfect ripeness: not so green as to be chalky and not so ripe they become adorned with brown spots. Once that happens, I will shy away from bananas in the fruit bowl. And watch them get riper and riper (ah, ickier and ickier).

One day, my husband saw opportunity where I had carefully avoided looking (4 very overripe bananas!) and made me banana bread. I don't know why, but banana bread was never something I ate a lot, or would go out of my way to, even before my diagnosis. Needless to say, after this encounter I was drawn to its charms. See above; how could I not be?

The moistness of the bread is well suited to a GF friendly version, because gluten does not play a central role in its composition anyway. Chris found the recipe at Simply Recipes and substituted Bob's Red Mill all purpose GF flour for the regular flour in the original recipe. I think that when he made it last he had more bananas than were called for and deceased the sugar a but. We also decided that in the future we might try substituting applesauce for some of the butter. For the vanilla we use is from Penzey's.

No comments:

Post a Comment