Sunday, October 18, 2009

A disappointing mix

We had a horrendous run-in with a prepackaged GF product from Whole Foods. The mists of time had fogged my memory of just how bad this stuff was and how it should be avoided at all costs. Now I know - and so do you! Below is the rant I sent to the Whole Foods customer service email. We'll see if I get a reply.

365 brand Gluten Free pizza mix

This is a very disappointing product. For starters, the directions are convoluted, overspecific and do not resemble any other pizza crust dough directions I know (GF or otherwise). Why beat the eggs 3 minutes? Why not put the yeast in the lukewarm water with the sugar? I could not discern any benefit from following the directions as written - too many steps. The directions should be modified to should just combine the dry ingredients then mix in the wet.

The dough, once you make it, completely unworkable because it is sticky beyond belief. The directions should at least warn of this, and provide some means or suggestions to handle the dough. It cannot be kneaded or really touched. The only way I could cope with it was to heavily oil my fingers/utensil to move it around - not good.

The result, when baked, hardly resembles pizza dough. At best, it could be said to resemble focaccia. The mix makes a crust which is flavorless and pouffy. At least it does not have a grainy mouthfeel, but that is its only positive factor.

I expected way better, Whole Foods, particularly as the frozen 365 gluten free pizza prepared crusts are fairly decent!

No comments:

Post a Comment