Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lunch at NMAI


I recently had lunch with a friend who works on the Mall. She suggested we meet at the Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian. I figured the menu to be fairly corn-centric, plus I'd heard that it was good; besides which, I'd never been. I gladly accepted.

Even though it was just before Thanksgiving, Mitsitam was still bustling. After meeting my friend, she showed me the lay of the land: there are a number of food stations, each of which features selections based on a different regional cuisine. I started looking around to get a sense of what I could safely eat. Imagine my surprise when the cafeteria marked clearly not only vegetarian items, but also which were gluten free! No way!!! I was ecstatic - and the South American counter served me up a tasty and varied meal which included yucca fries, quinoa salad, and corn cheese cakes.

Lunch was tasty and the conversation dandy. I determined to come back to this spot, and sometime soon!

Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian

No comments:

Post a Comment